The H.E.R.O. Diabetes Self-Management Education Program is a self managed diabetes program designed to help participants modify their behaviors and live a healthier life. This course gives people who may be at risk the tools they need to manage their conditions successfully.
The course gives a series of six classes approximately two hours each, led by certified instructors in a classroom setting. There are two follow-up classes one year later. It’s all presented in an easy-to-understand format, with all the learning tools required to foster success and positive outcomes.
Monitoring of patient glucose levels will be conducted at regular intervals to track progress.
Topics in the H.E.R.O. Diabetes Management Program curriculum:
- The ABCs of diabetes
- Monitoring blood glucose levels
- An overview of treatment options
- Healthy eating
- Being active
- Problem solving
- Reducing risks
- Healthy coping
- Initial assessment of each student
- Overview of different types of diabetes & their symptoms
- A review of risk factors
- Strategies for preventing or managing the disease
- Behavior modification tips
- Diabetes monitoring and medicines
- Exercise guidelines
- Stress management - causes, symptoms, and treatment
- Lifestyle improvements
- Diabetes complications
- All required learning tools
- Personal action plan
- Take-home materials
© 2011 HERO. All Rights Reserved.
H.E.R.O. 1930 Harrison Street, Suite #605, Hollywood, Florida 33020 Phone: 800 457-7568 Fax: 800 430-9814